Today many people donate toys and bring them to a family as a gift around Christmas. The family receiving these gifts may be struggling to get by but may still be seeking the personal dignity that providing for their family brings. They want to buy their own Christmas gifts and give them to their family.
The Christmas with Dignity Store meets that need and desire by providing a store with donated new items available to purchase for those who might typically be unable to afford their own Christmas gifts for their family. This ministry also creates an opportunity to connect with families in need and minister to them beyond the store.
The Christmas with Dignity Store provides donors with a personal satisfaction of helping others, provides children with a better Christmas than they might otherwise receive, and restores personal dignity to our customers by allowing them to buy their own Christmas gifts.
When will the store be open? How does it work?
- The store will be open on December 14th 2019 and be located at 101 W. Court Square in Covington
- Items in the store will be sold for roughly 10% of their full retail value
- Customers will be given a shopping pass to shop at the store. This invitation style approach alleviates the need for screening at the store.
How can I get a shopping pass?
Applicants must register in advance to receive a shopping pass. Shopper applications will be accepted at Gateway on the Square, located at 101 W. Court Square in Covington on the following dates:
- Wednesday October 23, 6-8pm
- Wednesday October 30, 6-8pm
- Wednesday November 13, 6-8pm
- Thursday November 14, 6-8pm
Please call (901) 837-8087 to make an appointment for one of the application time slots listed above. In order to qualify, you must complete the application and bring official documents to verify information provided. You will need to bring the following with you:
- Photo ID- state issued ID
- Proof of address – utility bill
- Proof of income – payroll check stub
- Proof of children in home – birth certificates, food stamp EBT card with the list of people in the household
After the application period has closed, all applications will be reviewed. Upon completion of the review, shopping passes will be mailed out to shoppers. You will be assigned a shopping time for the store. You must bring the shopping pass with you on the day of the store. No shoppers will be admitted without the pass.
How can I help?
You can participate through the following activities:
- BRING TOY DONATIONS NOW THROUGH DECEMBER 8, 2019. See below for suggested donations. Donations can be dropped off at an Gateway campus.
2. BE A VOLUNTEER. Stock the store through the receipt of donated toys and pricing the items.Operating the store as a cashier or customer service on December 14th. Minister to those coming into the store seeking other voluntary assistance (prayer, counseling, etc.).Anyone can be a minister simply by talking to customers, helping them find items, and having a simple conversation that may open an opportunity to further serve a customer.
Volunteers can sign up below:
Than you to everyone who donated and volunteered for the store past!! Here’s a recap video from last year: