Today many people donate toys and bring them to a family as a gift around Christmas. The family receiving these gifts may be struggling to get by but may still be seeking the personal dignity that providing for their family brings. They want to buy their own Christmas gifts and give them to their family.
The Christmas with Dignity Store meets that need and desire by providing a store with donated new items available to purchase for those who might typically be unable to afford their own Christmas gifts for their family. This ministry also creates an opportunity to connect with families in need and minister to them beyond the store.
The Christmas with Dignity Store provides donors with a personal satisfaction of helping others, provides children with a better Christmas than they might otherwise receive, and restores personal dignity to our customers by allowing them to buy their own Christmas gifts.
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION 2020
The store is set for Saturday, December 5th. Here are all the details you need to know:
For those who are working to set up on Friday, please arrive by 6pm.
Everyone working on Saturday, please plan to arrive by 7am. At that time, we will pray and go over final details with volunteers before customers begin arriving.
If you are available to help clean-up, please plan to stay until 1pm.
If you have one, wear a church shirt. We will also have lanyards for volunteers to wear. This ministry wouldn’t be possible without our army of volunteers. We appreciate your willingness to serve! See you soon.
When will the store be open? How does it work?
- The store will be open on December 5, 2020.
- The store will be held at First United Methodist Church (145 W. Church Ave. in Covington, TN) in the Family Life Center.
- Items in the store will be sold for roughly 10% of their full retail value
- Customers will be given a shopping pass to shop at the store. This invitation style approach alleviates the need for screening at the store.
How can I get a shopping pass?
Applicants must register in advance to receive a shopping pass.
Please call (901) 837-8087 if you have any questions.
After the application period has closed, all applications will be reviewed. Upon completion of the review, shopping passes will be mailed out to shoppers. You will be assigned a shopping time for the store. You must bring the shopping pass with you on the day of the store. No shoppers will be admitted without the pass.
How can I help?
You can participate through the following activities:
- BRING TOY DONATIONS NOVEMBER 8 – 29th. See below for suggested donations. Donations can be dropped off at an Gateway campus.
2. BE A VOLUNTEER. Stock the store through the receipt of donated toys and pricing the items.Operating the store as a cashier or customer service on December 14th. Minister to those coming into the store seeking other voluntary assistance (prayer, counseling, etc.).Anyone can be a minister simply by talking to customers, helping them find items, and having a simple conversation that may open an opportunity to further serve a customer.
Volunteers can sign up at the Next Steps Desk.
Remember, be flexible! the store is open 8am – 12pm, but set up will start at 7am and take down will go to 1pm. If you volunteer to serve the day of the event, please plan to serve the entire time. Thanks!
Than you to everyone who donated and volunteered for the store past!! Here’s a recap video from 2018: